Top 10 Poison Prevention Tips


Each year, accidents occur involving various products we keep in our homes. Common house cleaning products, insecticides, and other chemicals can be harmful and in some cases deadly to pets and children. However, with the proper knowledge and awareness, you can prevent the likelihood of poisoning in your home. Efforts by individuals, government agencies and communities all around the world have reduced the number of poison-related deaths. You too have a role to play in reducing poison-related accidents. Here are some poison prevention tips you can use in your home.


Keep household products and medicines in their original containers and don’t store them near food.



Before using any product, always read labels carefully and follow the specified directions.


Keep insecticides, household products and medication stored away and out of sight until when they’re needed. Put them away as soon you have finished using them.


Buy items with child-resistant packaging. However, keep in mind that nothing is fully childproof.


Never share your prescription medication with your friends or family.


While with your children, never refer to medicine as sweet or any other thing that may be attractive to them.


Check expiration dates on unused medications and prescriptions, and safely dispose of those that have already expired.


If there are any poisonous plants in your home, identify them and educate all your family members on the importance of staying away from these plants.


Save the National Poison Control number on your phone and place in your kitchen or close to your home phone. In case of any emergencies, you just call that number and get attended to quickly.


Pets can be poisoned as well. Don’t store pesticide or cleaning products near pet water or food dishes and immediately clean up leaks and spills of such products.


In conclusion, don’t forget to educate your family on the various products and how they can be poisonous to you and your pets. By ensuring that they’re well-informed, they will be less likely to experience poison-related accidents. If an accident occurs, don’t hesitate to call a poison control center or a qualified physician.